Thursday, October 02, 2008

Facebook - I'm over it

Originally, when I signed up for Facebook it was fun. In a demented way, there was something intriguing about peeking into the photos and lives of "friends" who I hadn't talked to for years. Sort of. It didn't take long for the spell to wear off though and I started to feel like I was in high school all over again. And I hated high school.

A former friend, who ditched me years ago for cooler friends, invited me to join. Out of pity, maybe, out of her desire to increase her "friends", probably, in sincere attempt to reestablish our friendship, No. And I, stupidly, joined up. Daily I got emails telling me about friend updates and photos being added, etc, etc, etc. Crap I barely cared about anyway but felt required to look at. And I did. And day by day I felt worse and worse and worse about myself and my life and what I had to post up there. And it finally came to a head this week ( maybe two years since I joined) when I realized that while I was looking at the photos of my two former best friends still hanging out after all these years (notice, I wasn't in the photo) that I hated seeing these things and they just made me feel sad and bitter. Jealous even. And I rarely feel that particular emotion. So I deleted my account. Just like that. And I still feel a little weird about it but the sadness and bitterness is fading. I'll never understand why some friendships last and some don't. I'll never understand why I'm never quite good enough to keep as a friend. I'll just never been cool enough to hang with the cool kids so to speak.

Was it all bad? No. I was found by an old friend who I am very glad found me and we keep in touch and even hang out on weekends. Her husband and mine get along great and my kids love them. I am very grateful to Facebook for that.

As for everything else, the phoney "friend" invites, the lame applications and the New Facebook, I'm glad it's out of my life. I'm what I would call an Urban Hermit. Work from home on a computer for many, many hours a day. Don't go out much. Don't have many friends and, except for my husband's family, have no family living anywhere nearby. And Facebook was a nice distraction from my daily grind but when that distraction starts upsetting you it's time to call it quits. It feels like I've abruptly quit smoking. I don't know what to do with my personal time on the computer. Check the emails....visit wikipedia....*sigh* Maybe I'll find something else to do on the internet. Or maybe I should just shut if off and go outside. Hopefully the Facebook thing will be over soon and we can all go outside and talk to people in person again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home